Monday, October 29, 2012

Sunday Sewing Project: Baby Car Seat Cover

Ok, so its cold outside and your 11 month old has grown and the car seat cover that you have is too small to cover her up in her seat. So what do you do? You don't want to buy another car seat cover and have it still small for her, do you?  Well, my husband and I decide to make a car seat cover. He did the designing and the pattern and I did the picking of the material and the sewing.


So you ask how do I sew a car seat cover? This is a fun and quick project to make, it took about 1 1/2 hour  to make.

Supplies you will need is:

1 1/4 quilt type material
1 1/4 fleece or any cotton fabric
Scissors
Ruler
Elastic 
Pins
Sewing Machine

Here is my fabric choice, I had started this project and in the middle I decide to take photos.


 Brown quilt type material


 Butterflies/flowers fleece

First lay your quilt material fabric on a flat cutting surface and measure out the size you need. Than you'll cut it 30" by 40".

We lay the quilt fabric on top of the fleece fabric (the bright side facing in) and cut it. I pin the fabrics together and I'm ready to sew. I sew around the main part of the cover leaving an opening at the top to turn it right side out. I find it very helpful to sew with the fleece fabric on the bottom.

After you sew it turn it right side out through the opening you left. I sew around the fabric again, making an insert for the elastic band. One we finish sewing that, we use a safety pin to run the elastic through.


Here is the finish results! You can either sides to cover the baby with! I hope you enjoy making yours, cause I sure did.




1 comment: